What is Google Reader and what are RSS feeds?
- Use Google Reader to keep up with websites that have frequent updates, e.g. blogs.
- Google Reader uses stuff called RSS feeds – found on loads of websites.
- If you see this symbol, you can add the site to your feed reader:
- Efficiency: you only have to check one place
- Remember sites of interest to you
- Basically, you’re personalising the internet
Other possible uses of RSS in libraries
- Create an RSS feed for new additions to the catalogue
- Use feeds from publishers for new editions
- Create an RSS feed for events and news posted on the library website
Set up Google Reader and follow some blogs
- Go to reader.google.com
- Add some feeds, trying both these methods:
- Subscribe button
- Go to a blog & click the orange RSS button.
Full instructions here.